The Multimedia Factory
'The Multimedia Factory was the first multimedia company in Cyprus launched in 1992.
It was founded as a subsidiary of MIDnTED Ltd. with Yiannis Laouris, George Vakanas and Maria Symeonides also as shareholders. TMF was serving also CYBER KIDS as a technology group working with kids ages 8-12 to develop their projects into final commercial products. Dinos Georgiades and Stelios Stylianou have contributed with many ideas and products: Dinos supported CYBER KIDS students to develop professional versions of their projects and sell them through the factory. Stelios, together with George, led the development of multimedia information kiosks placed at airports, museums and ports to inform people about the Cyprus problem and the Turkish occupation.
Pioneer in professional Multimedia
|Animations for Institute of Technology||1993|
|Multimedia package for Electric Authority||1994|
|Educational Multimedia Game for Electric Authority||1997|
|Occupied Cyprus; 6-language Multimedia Information System (at airports and museums)||1997-1998|
|Hotel Information System "HISystem"||1994|
Educational Software development
|Quick Story Gold||1996-98|
|Draw & Paint||1996-98|
Educational Software development: “Factories for Research Projects”
|Fairy Tales Factory||2002|
The Multimedia Factory in the Media
The Multimedia Factory enjoyed substantial visibility from many media.
- Stylianou S., Laouris, Y, & El-Haddad, C. (1993). Multimedia, A new tool to help the dyslexic. First Science and Innovation Fair. Cyprus.
- Vakanas, G., Laouris, Y., Symeonidou, M., Loizou, E., Stylianou, S., Kouppe, P., and Georgiades, D. (1994). Mythology as a rich and meaningful context for integrated learning of literacy, numeracy and scientific inference: New possibilities. In J. Wright & D. Benzie (Eds.), Exploring a New Partnership: Children, Teachers and Technology, Proceedings of the IFIP TC3/WG3. 5 International Working Conference on Exploring a New Partnership: Children, Teachers and Technology, Philadelphia, PA, USA, 26 June - 1 July, 1994. IFIP Transactions A-58 Elsevier 1994, pp. 173-179.
- Laouris, Y. (1995). Towards a new Logo based on principles of object oriented and parallel processing. Educational Conference at Intercollege. Cyprus.
- Laouris, Y., & Loizou, E. (1995). Principles of friendly screen design and its psycho emotional influences. Educational Conference at Intercollege. Cyprus.
- Laouris, Y., & Symeonides, M. (1996). The computer in service of science subjects in elementary schools. First Cyprus Pedagogical Institute Conference 27/1//96, Cyprus.
- Laouris, Y., & Makris, P. (1996). The role of computers in Dyslexia. First Cyprus Pedagogical Institute Conference 27/1//96, Cyprus.
- Laouris, Y., & El-Haddad, C. (1997). The use of electronic story boards in the assessment of retention and learning attributes. 2nd Congress of the Cyprus Society of Psychiatrists, Cyprus.
- Laouris, Y., & Makris, P (1997). A new computerized approach in the study of dyslexia using simple geometrical drawings on the computer. 2nd Congress of the Cyprus Society of Psychiatrists, Cyprus.
- Laouris, Y., (1997). Introducing children in OOP concepts using an interactive video game simulation. IEE CONF ABSTRACTS 1997 (Cyprus) Proc., p. 00.
- Laouris, Y., Minaidou, D., & El-Haddad, C. (1997). Computer interface for studying letter, word and pattern recognition strategies when interacting with computer screens. IEE CONF ABSTRACTS 1997 (Cyprus) Proc., p. 00.
- Laouris, Y, & Symeonides, M. (1997). Thumbnail representations in modern operating systems and other computer environments: Their effect on human machine interactions. IEE CONF ABSTRACTS 1997 (Cyprus) Proc., p. 00.