SafenetCY - Island-wide Safer Internet Hotline in Cyprus
“SafenetCY” is the Hotline that promotes the safe use of Internet in Cyprus. It serves the needs of all people that live on the island (i.e., also Turkish-Cypriots and other minorities) and addresses not only issues of pornography, but also racism (currently on the rise in Cyprus), gender discrimination and inappropriate use of peoples’ images.
- Operate an island-wide hotline for Internet users in Cyprus to report illegal and harmful material and activities, so as to reduce the circulation of illegal content on the Internet.
- Inform users of the hotline’s scope of activity and how to contact it; Make clear to users the difference between their activities and those of public authorities, and inform them of the existence of alternative ways of reporting illegal content.
- Deal rapidly with complaints received, in accordance with best practice guidelines drawn up by the network and in cooperation with law enforcement authorities.
- Exchange specific information on identified illegal content with other members in the network.
- Participate actively in networking nationally and at European level and contribute to cross-border discussions and exchange of best practice.
- Co-operate with the awareness node present in the country and Europe Direct.
- Take an active part in events organized for safer Internet day at European, national and local level.
- Develop a structured method of concertation with the relevant actors (e.g. Internet Industry association, major communication service providers, media regulators, legal authorities) in cooperation with other safer Internet nodes in the country, if any.