Prof. Nikitas Assimakopoulos founded the [[Hellenic Society for Systemic Studies] in 2003 and is currently serving as its chair. He also founded the Certified Systemic Analyst Professional program which is being implemented in collaboration between the Hellenic Society for Systemic Studies and the University of Piraeus.
Dr. Assimakopoulos is a Professor of the Department of Informatics at the University of Piraeus, Greece. His research interests include Systemic Methodologies, Systems Approaches to Management and Informatics, Dynamic Simulation Systems, Information Systems, Workflow Systems, Virtual Enterprises and Applied Operations Research Techniques. He has been lecturing at Chelsea College, University of London, England, and at the Athens University of Economics and Business, Greece. He served as consultant of the British Post Office and of the Agricultural Bank of Greece, and also holds the professional title FOR of the British Operational Research Society.
He has published over 100 papers in refereed journals, 120 papers in conference proceedings and has participated in about 130 conferences with papers. Also, he is Associate Editor in five international journals and reviewer in 12 well-known journals which are associated with the four International Societies where he serves as active member. Dr. Assimakopoulos is the inventor of the Design and Control Systemic Methodology (DCSYM), and of the STIMEVIS multi-systemic methodology, Human Systems Management .
Dr. Nikitas Assimakopoulos is a member of the Board of Advisors  which is the governing body of the Global Association for Systems Thinking (GAST). They provide the senior leadership, expertise, and wise-counsel to enhance the success of the Association. Advisory Board Members are leaders the Systems Thinking field.
Dr. Assimakopoulos has organized International and National Conferences (last one: www.2014.hsss.eu) and is the founder and elected President of the Hellenic Society for Systemic Studies (HSSS) (www.hsss.eu). He is the founder and the coordinator of the first internationally Post-Graduate Professional Program of Certified Systemic Analyst Professional (CSAP) with ISO/IEC 17024 (www.csap.gr) which is supported by the HSSS and offers governmental administration credits for the public clerks. The CSAP Program operates through the University of Piraeus - Research Center in Greece and a number of experts from the international community of systems approach present their professional work in it via a live e-learning software. Due to the professional character of the Program, 60 Consulting and Informatics very well-known Companies present their software, their successful projects and they try pick up CSAP members for their professional work.
Dr. Assimakopoulos has been invited frequently to give talks at national and international conferences and research organisations. He is the founder and the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Applied Systemic Studies (IJASS) published by Inderscience Publishers.
Prof. Assimakopoulos is a member of the N.E.T.S. Board of Trustees.
- Nikitas A. Assimakopoulos, Nikolaos K. Dimitriou, Efstathios Sotiriou-Xanthopoulos (2011). VITRO: a flexible and innovative architecture for virtual travel agent information systems. IJSTM 15(1/2): 4-26
- Nikitas A. Assimakopoulos, Nikolaos K. Dimitriou. (2006) A cybernetic framework for viable virtual enterprises: The use of VSM and PSM systemic methodologies. Kybernetes 35(5): 653-667.
- Nikitas A. Assimakopoulos(2001) A systemic approach in modeling and analysis of interactions in virtual enterprises. Operational Research 1(2): 147-160.
- Nikitas A. Assimakopoulos (1999) Random environmental processes for complex computer systems: a theoretical approach. Advances in Complex Systems 2(2): 117-136.
- Nikitas A. Assimakopoulos (1999).A Generic Spatial Temporal Computation Model for Systemic Multimedia Presentations. Cybernetics and Systems 30(6): 509-531.
- Nikitas A. Assimakopoulos (1999).System Thoughts in Manufacturing. Journal of Systems Integration 9(2): 167-185.
- Nikitas A. Assimakopoulos(1999) Aspects of Systematic Metaphors in a Manufacturing Environment. Journal of Systems Integration 9(4): 287-310.
- Nikitas A. Assimakopoulos (1995).How to Reach O. R. Wisdom. AI Soc. 9(4): 402-410.
- Nikitas A. Assimakopoulos(1988). The influence of new technology in organization and management. Information & Management 14(4): 195-202.
- Int. J. of Applied Systemic Studies, 2009 Vol.2, No.3, pp.193 – 217
- vol 19 (2000), 61-69