The Dyslexia Group
The Dyslexia Group was one of the early research groups at the Cyprus Neuroscience and Technology Institute. It was created and managed collaboratively by Yiannis Laouris and Pantelis Makris. Three professors from the University of Cyprus, Prof. Athanasios Gagatzis, Andreas Papapavlou, and Timotheos Papadopoulos have also participated in Journal Club Meetings and research activities and have collaborated in the organization of workshops and conferences. A number of international scholars have served as advisors, including Chris Singletton, Peter Gerjets, Tobias Banaschewski and Aribert Rothenberger. The Group has collaborated with the Cyprus Dyslexia Association in pilot studies and awareness campaigns. The pioneer members of the group included: Despo Minaidou, Christiane El-Haddad, Petroula Petrou and Mira Ioannou.
The Group has organised 7 Computers and Dyslexia Conferences and one major international conference:
The following individuals served as members of the Dyslexia Group between 1992 and 2003.
- Dr. Yiannis Laouris, Cyprus Neuroscience and Technology Institute; Together with Pantelis Makris Coordinator and Organizer of [the first big public event: Computers and Dyslexia 1995 Seminar
- Mr. Pantelis Makris, Ministry of Education; Together with Yiannis Laouris Coordinator and Organizer of [the first big public event: Computers and Dyslexia 1995 Seminar
- Prof. Athanasios Gagatzis, University of Cyprus
- Prof. Andreas Papapavlou, University of Cyprus
- Prof. Timotheos Papadopoulos, University of Cyprus
- Mrs. Christiane El-Haddad, Cyprus Neuroscience and Technology Institute; Coordinator and Organizer of Computers and Dyslexia 1997 Conference
- Dr.med. Joulietta Kalli-Laouri, Child- and Adolescent Psychiatry Specialist
- Mrs. Despo Minaidou, Speech Expert; Coordinator and Organizer of Computers and Dyslexia 1996 Conference
- Mrs. Petroula Petrou, Educator, Ministry of Education; Coordinator and Organizer of Computers and Dyslexia 1998 Conference together with Mira Ioannou
- Mrs. Mira Ioannou, Educator, Ministry of Education; Coordinator and Organizer of Computers and Dyslexia 1998 Conference together with Petroula Petrou, and Computers and Dyslexia 2001 Conference
- Mrs. Stella Ioannides, Educator, Ministry of Education; Coordinator and Organizer of Computers and Dyslexia 2002 Conference
- Mrs. Rena Sofokleous
- Mrs. George Georgiou
- Mrs. Panayiota Papageorgiou
- Mrs. Yiannoulla Kypri
- Mrs. Demetra Demetriadou
The work of the group reached a highlight between 1999 and 2001 when the Cyprus Neuroscience and Technology institute won one of the very first grants of the Research Promotion Foundation and implemented Development of methodology and software for the diagnosis and treatement of learning difficulties with emphasis in dyslexia, which has later led to the development of Mental Attributes Profiling System.