Planetary Dialogue Agora of Philanthropolis
An international panel of 22 experts/stakeholders in e-democracy and structured dialogue were engaged for three weeks in an asynchronous and synchronous virtual interaction employing the technology of the Webscope wiki. The panel was invited to use the Structured Dialogic Design Process (SDDP).
This 2008 Historic Virtual SDDP was probably the first conducted with all participants located in different continents.
The Triggering Question (TQ) of the workshop was:
What are descriptors/requirements of the ideal image of the Agora of Philanthropolis
In response to the TQ, the 22 participants came up with 59 ideas, which were categorized into 14 clusters. Following the voting process, 38 ideas received one or more votes and 14 were structured to create the influence MAP shown below.
- CYBERSPACE CAPITAL
- STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT
- ETHICAL SENSITIVITY
- DIGITAL DIVIDE
- ECOLOGY BALANCE
- CYBER POLICE
- 4: (6 Votes) A place where we can all be ourselves together (Jackie)
- 5: (6 Votes) A place where everyone affected by a problem is considered a stakeholder (Jackie)
- 1: (5 Votes) To optimize democratic participation in guiding the evolution of a planetary civilization (Vigdor Schreibman).
- 6: (5 Votes) A place where we can create a global culture of care (Jackie).
- 12: (5 Votes) Connect grass-roots voices and incorporate them in the work done by global leaders (Zare). 9: (4 Votes) Participants are trained in cultural sensitivity (Megumi).
- 29: (4 Votes) Philanthropolis is home (Uyanga).
- 20: (3 Votes) Language over passing cultural differences (Vaida).
- 22: (3 Votes) A World Free from Hunger (Cy Rago).
- 31: (3 Votes) Place of Sharing (Esenbek).
- 33: (3 Votes) Extra-linguistic Cultural Understanding (Esenbek).
- 2: (2 Votes) To optimize development of CyberspaceCapital (Vigdor Schreibman).
- 7: (2 Votes) Everyone have access to the same technology (Megumi). 10: (2 Votes) Transcendence of our differences (Zare).
- 13: (2 Votes) : Less of GDP and more of Happiness and Health (Afonso). 17: (2 Votes) A voice to all affected parties (Anni).
- 19: (2 Votes) Respect for an individual as a basis for the ethics of Philantropolis (Vaida). 30: (2 Votes) Emphasis on strengths (Uyanga).
- 32: (2 Votes) A Place for Shattering Stereotypes (Esenbek).
- 36: (2 Votes) Schooling for Understanding (Shuichiro).
- 40: (2 Votes) Knowledge is open to everyone (Ayumu).
- 42: (2 Votes) Love the environment as well, not just humans (Ayumu).
- 43: (2 Votes) Free Internet for all (Yiannis).
- 52: (2 Votes) A PLACE (CYBERSPACE) TO LEARN TO CARE (Hernan).
- 53: (2 Votes) Participation of all stakeholders (Xianghui).
- 55: (2 Votes) Equality (Xianghui).
- 57: (2 Votes) The place of learning and teaching (Shuko).
- 3: (1 Votes) To optimize development of OmniCapital (Vigdor Schreibman).
- 11: (1 Votes) Global Spiritual Revolution (Zare).
- 14: (1 Votes) Expose current democracy as an oligarchy in reality (Afonso). 16: (1 Votes) Voluntary free participation for all decisions (Anni).
- 18: (1 Votes) Face to face group discussions on several levels (Anni).
- 24: (1 Votes) Utilization of Internet (Information Technology) for Meaningful Dialogues (Cy Rago).
- 27: (1 Votes) Engaging Dialogue (Roselle).
- 28: (1 Votes) : Everyone is a family (Uyanga).
- 34: (1 Votes) Peace Talks (Shuichiro).
- 46: (1 Votes) Prizes for social entrepreneurship: socially responsible, creative innovations (Yiannis).
- 50: (1 Votes) A PLACE TO GENERATE 'CULTURAL PRACTITIONERS' (Hernan).
According to the participants of this workshop, the ideas that appear to be the most influential were:
- Idea 20: Language over passing cultural differences (Vaida)
- Idea 33: Extra-linguistic Cultural Understanding (Esenbek)
The co-laboratory was facilitated by a team led by Aleco Christakis. While Aleco was based in Crete, his Co-Facilitators, and Assistant Facilitators were based in the USA and in Cyprus.
|Aleco Christakis||Archanes, Crete|
|Gayle Underwood||Allegan, Michigan, USA|
|Yiannis Laouris||Nicosia, Cyprus|
|Elia Petridou||Nicosia, Cyprus|
|Maria Georgiou||Nicosia, Cyprus|
- Vigdor Schreibman
- Cy Rago